Friday, May 21, 2010

Last-Minute Pickled Asparagus Spears


You know, they say time goes faster once you have kids, but what they don't tell you is that begins at the moment of conception. I swear, the first trimester has flown by so fast my head is spinning; or maybe it just feels like that from the morning sickness and fatigue this whole life-making business causes.
April ended with overtime at work for spring break. May began with us moving to a bigger place. After that came overtime for Mother's Day (how ironic?) and overtime for the shuttle launch. Then I caught a cold, which, when you can't take anything but Tylenol, just really sucks.
I'm not complaining, but when I would normally have spent one of my days off happily going to the market to obtain produce, researching and canning, now I lay in bed watching t.v., ordering pizza and looking at the sink piled high with dishes, the cat hair-laden carpet, and the full laundry basket of clothes.
Up until now, I have had my
Click for tigress can jam food blog challenge
projects planned, executed and a blog future-posted and ready to go on the first posting day. Now here I am, at the last minute, throwing asparagus and whatever in a jar, snapping some pics and calling it a post.
So anyways, my doctor says the fatigue goes away in the second trimester, which-Hallelujah!- starts tomorrow. I still hold high my dreams of throwing holiday parties (and a shower, too) in which my pickled vegetables and lovingly made condiments will take an honored place on the hor'dourve table.
A special thanks to all the other food and canning junkies who's blogs have given me something to read on those days in which I haven't been able to do better than a bowl of cereal with milk!

Last-Minute Pickled Asparagus Spears:
2 12 oz. canning jars, lids and rings
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 TBSP canning salt
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed to jar length
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 onion, thinly sliced


Sterilize jars and rings by bringing to a boil in the hot water bath. To make brine bring water, vinegar and salt to a boil. Remove jars from boiling water, fill with asparagus, onion, garlic, and top off with brine. Place on lids and tighten rings. Process for five minutes.

1 comment:

  1. As a side note, I think this would be really nice with white asparagus and red wine vinegar, but I couldn't find any good white asparagus.

    ReplyDelete