Monday, March 15, 2010

Pickled Okra and Pickled Beets


What can I say? I was a weird kid- when everyone else was looking forward to Cadbury Eggs and Jelly Beans, I was looking forward to Mom's pickled eggs. She always started them a week before Easter, and by Easter Day I was ready to scarf down my share of those purple beauties. Then it was just yesterday that I realized Easter is early this year, only three weeks away- I better get my beets in a pickle!
And to get my husband off my back, I made some okra in the same shot.
Recipe adapted from the USDA Guide to Home Canning's Pickled Okra:

4 pint and 4 1/2 pint jars, lids and rings, all sterilized
1.2 #okra, washed and trimmed
6 beets, peeled and sliced

Brine:
4 Cups Distilled White Vinegar
4 Cups Water
3 Bay Leaves
3 Cloves
1 Tbsp. mustard seed
1 Tbsp. peppercorns
1 tsp. pepper flakes
1 tsp. caraway seeds
1/2 Cup salt

Begin heating all ingredients for brine. Pack okra into pint jars and beets into 1/2 pint jars. When brine comes to a boil, ladle into jars (herbs and all). Process jars for 10 minutes. Follow all regular canning procedures.

No comments:

Post a Comment